Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:32:00 +0200
From:      Niclas Zeising <zeising@freebsd.org>
To:        Dom F <freebsd@talk2dom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ivy Bridge and Xorg 7.7 on i386 FreeBSD 9-1BETA: no hardware acceleration?

On 10/25/12 23:28, Dom F wrote:
> I've hit this problem via installing PCBSD 9.1 RC2 albeit amd64 not
> i386. I couldn't even get VESA mode to work. Similar platform: Dell 15R
> SE 7520 with i7-3612QM including integrated Intel HD 4000 (GT2) and
> Radeon 7730M.
>
> XAA acceleration was awful in that it produced approximately 5 second
> lag on some events like:
>
> swapping desktops
> bring new window to front
> repainting a part of window previously obscured by another window
> expanding drop-down menus (e.g. <SELECT> tags)
> and more...
>
> With some effort I do have a good, working desktop environment now.
>
> I've updated to:
>
> Mesa 8.0.4 (libGL, dri, libGLU, libGLw)
> xf86-video-intel 2.20.12
> xorg-server-1.10.6_1.1
> libdrm-2.4.31
>
> This allowed me to use SNA acceleration which works lovely.
>
> I did need to modify the above for FreeBSD though. I can supply patches
> if anyone is interested?
>
> I'm writing this here in case it helps anyone and also to alert the port
> maintainers in case they want to bump the versions.
>
> It does seem like the versions I'm using are way ahead of what's even
> being tested for Xorg 7.7 and there's the sticky issues about jumping up
> the Mesa 8.x.x and WITH_NEW_XORG flag. Maybe I didn't need to upgrade so
> far. I could try downgrading if that's of any use to anyone?

To get a more resent xorg distribution than the default in ports, please
add WITH_NEW_XORG to /etc/make.conf. That should give you support for
more recent intel graphics cards.  You can also get the experimental
xorg repo using svn, see http://wiki.freebsd.org/Xorg for details.  The
experimental xorg repo contains the latest xorg packages that has been
ported to FreeBSD, and should in general work, but as usual, no guarantees.
Regards!
--
Niclas Zeising