Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 02:20:15 -0600 (CST)
From:      Will Porter <porterww@gslis.utexas.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Trouble printing w/ hp deskjet

Hello folks--
newbie here, with printing trouble.
Following a couple of tutorials (on in the daemonnews answerman archives,
the other in _The Complete FreeBSD_), I have been attempting to get my
printer to work, with very little success.  The printer does work under
windoze, so I'm fairly certain it's not a hardware thing.
The specs:
printer: HP Deskjet 697c /dev/lpt0
OS: FreeBSD 3.2
Problem1 ( more of a question, really):
lptest > /dev/lpt0  results in one page with this across the first line:
!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmno

and, in the last column of the second line: "
then 3 and a half blank pages feed.  This only happens once each time the
printer is turned off and turned back on.  Subsequent lptests using the
same syntaxt result in 4.5 blank pages feeding.  After the feeding stops,
the little error light on the printer blinks until I push the
(unmarked--god I miss the days when printers had lots of buttons with
labels) button, after which the last page feeds all the way through.

As none of the tutorials I've looked at indicates what the lptest is
supposed to do, I'm uncertain whether or not this output is what I'm
supposed to expect.

Problem2 (a real problem, near as I can tell):
When (as root) I attempt to launch lpd or do anything with it (e.g. lptest
20 5 | lpr  as suggested in _The Complete FreeBSD_), I get the following
message (date and time vary, message stays the same):

stirfry# Dec 1   01:47:11   stirfry lpd[649]:/dev/lp: no such file or directory
 Dec 1   01:47:11   stirfry lpd[649]:/dev/lp: no such file or directory

following are the only uncommented lines of my /etc/printcap:

lp|hp3|lineprinter|hp697c|Hewlett Packard Deskjet 697c:\  #name
        :sh:\                            #suppress header page
        :lp=/dev/lpt0:\                  #specify wtf /dev/lp is (troublesome)
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp3:\         #path to local spool directory (sd)
        :lf=/var/log/hp697c.log:\        #path to printer log files (lf)
        :mx#0:\                          #maximum file length (mx) unlimited

is there something wrong with my syntax here?
If not, is there somethign else I have overlooked?
Thank you in advance,
Will