Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:18:42 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        ".VWV." <victorvittorivonwiktow@interfree.it>, freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stop the desktops' upgrades

On Wednesday 29 October 2003 05:01 pm, .VWV. wrote:

> Otherwise, in my opinion it is necessary to stop this unuseful
> adoption of the endless upgrades of KDE and GNOME monsters.

The adoption of KDE or GNOME is purely voluntary. You do not need to use
either one. They are not standard in FreeBSD as they are in some other
free systems. The choice is yours.

> They still are much better than WIN.
> There is no stable standard for applications' developers, under such
> environments.

As you say, they are still much better than Windows. I haven't done any
GTK development, but the Qt interface has been very stable since 2.0.
When 3.0 came out, a few trivial changes to my code were necessary,
taking me about a half hour to make. Since then I haven't had to make
any changes at all. In the meantime, I have been given ample notice of
the deprecated functions. In some cases these notices have been around
since 2.0.

David