Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:23:52 -0400
From:      Antoine Beaupre <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        "Scott M. Nolde" <scott@smnolde.com>
Cc:        Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "filesystem is full" during installation of 4.6.2-REL

On Thursday, August 15, 2002, at 11:12 PM, Scott M. Nolde wrote:

> Andrew Boothman(andrew@cream.org)@2002.08.16 03:12:25 +0000:
>> However, during an FTP install from ftp.uk.freebsd.org when it reaches
>> 'chunk 4' the system displays a message saying "Write failure on
>> transfer (wrote -1 bytes of 240260 bytes)" and "/: write failed,
>> filesystem is full"
>>
>> VTY1 shows :
>> .
>> .
>> bin/ls
>> bin/mkdev
>> bin/mv
>> pid 72 (cpio), uid 0 on /: filesystem is full
>> /stand/cpio: write error: No space left on drive
>> /stand/gunzip: failed fwrite

FWIW, I've had such problems with restarted sysinstalls. In fact, a lot
of the recent uses I had of sysinstall ended up with such an error.

I think it is due to sysinstall not correctly mounting the configured
file systems. The behavior is quite erratic and i haven't been able to
pinpoint the exact problem but restarting the install, reformating the
partitions works usually ok.

>> A quick /stand/df on VTY4 shows 101% capacity on /dev/md0c mounted on /
>> but just 1% capacity on /dev/ad0s1a mounted on /mnt.

That's odd, for sure. But md0c sure should be full or almost.

And the disks should be mounted on /mnt, IIRC.

>> I've never delved
>> this far into a sysinstall installation before, but it sounds like it
>> is
>> failing on unpacking files into a memory disk? What could have caused
>> this problem?

I don't know.

>> A reboot and going through the installation process again brought
>> exactly the same failure in exactly the same place.

Odd. I usually solved the issue this way. Are you sure you properly set
up your partitions?

> md0c is a memory disk and you're not actually writing to your hard
> drive,
> which would be ad0 or ad1.

What happens, I think, is that since the disk is supposed to be mounted
on /mnt, and it is not, the whole thing gets extracted in md0's /mnt.

A.