Date:      Wed, 18 Mar 2009 23:23:56 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org, Lin Zhao <linzhao@ustc.edu.cn>
Subject:   Re: pls help on 3 interfaces

On Wednesday 18 March 2009 10:36:15 pm Lin Zhao wrote:
> hi all, wish my english is enough :-)
> my freebsd has 3 interfaces, like this,
>
>      ----                               ----switch1
>
>          |         ----------  fxp0    |
>          |        |          |---------
>
> internal |--------|freebsd71 |
>
>          |    rl0 |          |---------
>          |         ----------  fxp1    |
>
>      ----                               ----switch2
>
> we're in the internal and want to visit outside
> we use fxp0 for default outside address and it works well
> but for some reason, i want to use fxp1 for some special outside
> address how can i do for it?
> thanks a lot.

Is the FreeBSD box performing network address translation (NAT)? I'm going
to assume that it is and everything is being aliased through fxp0. I'm
also assuming you're using ipfw since you wrote to the ipfw list.

If the IP addresses which you'd like to reach via fxp1 are static, you
should be able to do something like the following:

Configure static routes on the FreeBSD machine for the the special outside
addresses using the gateway of fxp1's network as the router.
Configure an additional NAT rule (if still using natd now might be a good
time to switch to in-kernel ipfw NAT..) to alias through fxp1.
Configure ipfw to direct traffic to/from the special outside addresses to
the new NAT instance instead of the default.

I actually used a similar setup recently. If you care to confirm my
assumptions above I can give you a more step-by-step guide.

JN