Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 19:21:35 +0100
From:      "Morten A . Middelthon" <morten@freenix.no>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Portmap going berserk(!)

I got a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE built Oct 8, which seems to have been running just
fine for about 40 days. But now, all of a sudden, portmap forks off nnn
processes, and the load on the box goes up to about 150 (not kidding). Running
portmap with -v doesn't give me anything, running it with -d starts spitting
out thousands of 'server: about to do a switch' messages to my console. I
tried rebooting the box, but it starts all over again.

The box is running as a DHCP, NFS, Samba, NIS, Apache, named and printserver,
so it's quite an important box in my network.

Is there any known portmap-related problems? Right now I'm building with new
updated sources, hoping desperately it will help.

--
Morten A. Middelthon
Freenix Norge