Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 14:39:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE Questions

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Brian N. Handy wrote:

> >  [wd0 -- DOS]
> >  [wd1 -- 1GB DOS, 1.4GB FreeBSD]
>

> >>  (2)  Can I have a 1GB Win95 partition ahead in front of it?
> >
> >Not on the same disk.
>
> Does this mean I need to make the whole second disk FreeBSD?  Or just the
> first partition?  I'm guessing this guy wants more DOS space, so I can't
> just eat the whole disk I'm afraid.  Can I just make the DOS partition
> somewhat smaller, or put the FreeBSD partition first on that drive?

If he shrank the Win95 partition, yes.  Most PC BIOSs can only boot
partitions below Cylinder 1024, which is about 500mb or so depending on
the disk.  So, if the Win95 partition was dropped to 475mb or so, then
you could start FreeBSD.

Optionally, you can make a separate root slice below 1024 and put the rest
of the filesystem above it, but that is not easy and I don't have the
procedure handy.  You have to use fdisk and disklabel creatively.