Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:28:36 +0100
From:      Matthias Andree <ma@dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   General: crypto in ports vs. RESTRICTED=... in Makefile

Hi,

I recently added a "RESTRICTED" tag to ports/databases/db41 and added a
db41-nocrypto port that uses the "nocrypto" version of DB 4.1.25.1.

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber asked whether this was right, I replied
that I took that procedure from the Porter's Handbook (that says crypto
code is to be tagged RESTRICTED), and Christian suggested that I take
this up on ports then.

So here we stand...

What's the consensus on tagging ports that contain cryptographic code
with "RESTRICTED"? Is this necessary, as documented in the Porter's
handbook, or is this obsolete or incorrect (and if so, why, and where
documented)? Is the port split into crypto and non-crypto correct?

Thanks in advance,

--
Matthias Andree