Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2007 20:40:10 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Embarking on upgrade from 6.1-RELEASE to 7-CURRENT

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 18:55:36 -0800
>> From: Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
>> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>>
>> 	Before I do this, I have a few questions; I know that the bulk
>> majority of the documentation for my questions may exist online or in
>> /usr/src/UPDATING, but I was just curious of the major changes that I
>> can expect between 6 and 7:
>>
>> 1. What scheduler is currently the most complete for SMP/multi-core
>> capable processors?
>
> 4BSD is stable and works well. Jeff R just committed a major overhaul
> of ULE and it MAY now perform a bit better and has been reported to be
> stable, now. But it is still experimental
> d a work in p progress.

Ok, sounds good. Will build a ULE and 4BSD scheduler enabled kernel,
just in case :).

>> 2. Do I need to add some sort of compatibility layer for 6 going to 7
>> (similar to compat_5)?
>
> There is COMPAT_FREEBSD6, but there is no compat_6x port at this
> time. Due to the instability of ABIs in current, be prepared to do a
> lot of port building.

Ok. At least this machine has less than 30 ports (just Samba, vim-lite,
etc).

>> 3. What are (briefly) some of the major changes for the ABI/API going
>> from 6 to 7? Someone mentioned some changes to the ABI when I emailed
>> the hackers@ list previously, so I was just curious.
>
> Lots of ABI changes. Read /usr/src/UPDATING for the details. ABI changes
> should all be mentioned there.

Excellent. Good to know it's documented there.

>> 5. Is 7 running gcc-4.x?
>
> Not yet, but it should be coming fairly soon.

Ok, cool. I noticed that there were a number of performance enhancements
and some tuning stuff going from gcc-3.4 to gcc-4.x, so it'll be nice
when that time comes around, but unfortunately building things is going
to become complicated for maintainers for a while; I know because I was
using Gentoo during the 3.4 -> 4.x move.
- -Garrett