Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 20:05:01 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rene de Vries <rene@canyon.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Subject:   FBSD3.3RC + UMAX astra 1220S + NCR810 => panic

Hi,

Today I bought a Umax 1220S scanner and tried to connect this to my FreeBSD
Stable (3.3RC) system. I added a NCR810 specially for the scanner (I don't
want such a device on the same bus as my root disk which is on an aic7890).
The kernel boots perfectly with both scsi adapters configured
(as expected ;-), but as soon as the scanner is connected to the NCR810
the kernel panics.
The scanner is the only device on that bus and termination is ok.
The message is: "cam_periph_error: scsi status of CHECK COND returned but no
sense information is availible. Controller should have returned
CAM_AUTOSENSE_FAILED" (line 1441 of cam_periph.c). As far as understand the
comments there, this means that the ncr810 driver did something cam did not
expect. (This all happens during booting, at the time when the devices are
probed.)
For now I've connected the scanner to my other PC running W95 where its
seems to work as expected.
I hope someone can help me finding what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks,
Rene
--
Rene de Vries                    http://www.tcja.nl/~rene; mailto:rene@tcja.nl