Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:38:35 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        Jamie Heckford <jamie@jamiesdomain.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel - Modules and Compiled in

On Sun, Sep 15, 2002 at 09:07:56PM -0700, Jamie Heckford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've noticed by having to admin a few linux boxes in my time that the majority of the kernel
> drivers are loaded via modules, comparing this to freebsd it seems to be that most drivers
> are compiled into the kernel and utilities such as ipfw/linux emu. are loaded as modules.
>
> I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of using kernel modules as opposed to
> compiling them in?

advantages:
 you can update a module without rebooting a machine, if a bug was fixed
 in say the msdos filesystem module you could compile it, unload the
 existing module and load the newer version.

 vendors can distribute a binary module if they cant, or dont wish to
 release the source.

 lots of others.

disadvantages:
 some drivers need to be able to allocate a large chunk of contiguous
 memory to operate correctly, this means some drivers cant work when not
 compiled in to the kernel (because they dont get their request for a
 block of memory in early enough). I was thinking about this recently,
 perhaps if the kernel allocated a chunk of memory early on in the boot
 process (amount configurable via sysctl) then this could be chopped up
 and handed to modules specifically, there is probably a good reason why
 this isnt possible (?) which has not occured to me, because it seems like
 the common sense solution.

FreeBSD 5 will have many more things accessible via modules, a trend
which is likely to continue.

> If someone could kindly let me know or shout where theres an in-depth explanation on the net
> I would be grateful :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jamie Heckford