Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:05:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Bart van Leeuwen <bart@ixori.demon.nl>
To:        Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rhosts and FreeBSD 4.0

Hmm.. I have no idea why it fails now and didn't in the past, but I do
have some idea about a beter solution for this. I'd most definitely use
ssh for this and use RSA authentication between the hosts as a min
requirement for allowing the login. This offers 2 enhancements over rsh:
- better authentication (doesn't depend purely on dns/ip addr.  and is
less vulnurable to spoofing)
- encrypted session between the hosts.

With 4.0 you get OpenSSH, read the documentation and config files in
/etc/ssh for information on this, as far as I can see the default setup
already allows for most of what you need. (From what I see it will allow a
root login over ssh if root only issues a command, it wont allow
interactive login by root... am I correct here??)

Bart van Leeuwen
 mailto:bart@ixori.demon.nl  -  http://www.ixori.demon.nl/