Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:16:03 -0400
From:      Andrew Berry <andrewberry@sentex.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading to 64 bit from a 32 bit installation on FBSD 7

--Apple-Mail-843-742111285

Hi,

I've got a server which will be upgraded to my "castoff" parts which
support amd64. This machine has been running Freebsd since the 5.0
RC's, starting on a P2 233Mhz, upgraded incrementally for a few years
- a real testament to the stability of a FreeBSD install! What I've
done in the past while upgrading is simply move the drive, and rebuild
everything with an updated make.conf optimized for the new processor.
Can I simply rebuild the world (or use freebsd-update), and
portupgrade everything to rebuild for amd64? Or, will things break as
libraries are upgraded which still have 32-bit dependancies on the
system?

Also, AFAIK upgrading to a 64 bit system allows access to additional
registers on the CPU, leading to a performance increase. The system
will only have 1.5 gigs of RAM, so that's not an issue, but are there
any benchmarks out there comparing performance on < 4GB hardware with
32 bit and 64 bit Freebsd?

Thanks!
--Andrew
--Apple-Mail-843-742111285--