Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:36:21 +0200
From:      "Alexandr Gribenko" <aeg@iname.com>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CAM and CD Ripping

Occasionally I spend a lot of time ripping audio
the best results ofcourse you get with Brand name CDROMS
But there is no connection between BUS and ripping speed.
I compared TEAC532s SCSI with TEAC532E IDE they had just
the same ripping at up to 8x or more with special setup tool from teac.
and ofcourse IDE cost half the price. In our days with IDE CDROMs support
UDMA2 there is no problem with bus.
If you are looking for a cheap ripping solution you can check
1)TEAC drives about 40$ you get up to x8 most times
2)CREATIVE (from panasonic) x24 or x32 did x12 or smth like this.
Interesting but x24 is much better.
3)ASUSx32 great CDROM, reads almost everything, even bad cds but sometimes
short life (4-5months) (who cares, there is wararnty)
4)SONY almost everything makes good ripping
5)Toshiba at x32 ripped very well
all of these IDE were placed about 45-50$ here.
Ofcourse there is phlextor and Pioneer but does it pays to pay 100$ more for
the difference between x12 and x16???