Date:      17 Apr 1998 18:30:44 -0500
From:      sfarrell+lists@farrell.org
To:        Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com>
Cc:        Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Discussion : Using DHCP to obtain configuration.

Snob Art Genre <benedict@echonyc.com> writes:

> Yes!  Has anyone here ever tried to fix a NeXTStep box when NetInfo
> was spammed?  It's not pretty, I assure you.

Ugh...

Can't some kind of duality be established that gets the best of both
worlds?  Use nsswitch.conf file that call tell it to e.g., first look
in the database and then in files for all information.  Additionally,
some provision is made for the new system to auto-generate required
files in /etc?

Oh.. and while I'm dreaming, how about using portalfs or similar as
such: mount /etc with portalfs and have a translator present all of
the data from the database in traditional format.  So vi /etc/rc.conf,
e.g., would just work, even though you'd actually be read/writing
directly to the database (a little like vipw, but with more magic).
Similarly this mechanism would maintain a backup of /etc in files as
mentioned in the previous paragraph.

This would be *outstanding* b/c one of the most annoying things about
non-traditional config systems is that they are difficult to figure
out since nothing is where it is "supposed to be".  Moreover, an
environmental variable (SYSTEM_CONFIG_STYLE=SysV, e.g.) could control
the apparent layout of /etc.

(returning to planet earth...)

--

Steve Farrell