Date:      Fri, 21 Mar 1997 06:22:00 -500 (EST)
From:      Jay Richmond <jayrich@in.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pidentd won't recognize user name

Hello,
	I just installed the pidentd package from ftp.freebsd.org on my
2.2-RELEASE system.  I should point out that I upgraded from 2.1.7 and
used some of my old configuration files.  Here's the situation:

I've put the line:

ident   stream  tcp     wait    root    /usr/local/sbin/identd  identd -w -t120

in /etc/inetd.conf.

I restarted the inetd daemon, and tested it using a friends system that
has a wrapper installed and irc.  Both would not pick up on the
username.  The daemon does run however.  So, per the documentation, I
telnet'ed to port 113 of my localhost, found out the outgoing port and
got this message:

1026 , 113 : ERROR : NO-USER

What could be causing this?  I've searched through the mailing list
archives, and found someone who had the same problem, but I couldn't find
a response from anyone.

Thanks for your time,
Jay
jayrich@in.net