Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 17:57:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, "'hackers@freebsd.org'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD reboots

because it breaks teh standard and teh networking guru's don't like it.

Basically in the face of broken clients, (read PCs) the TCP protocol
can gather an unacceptable collection of fin-wait-2 sessions. THis is in
the way the protocol was designed. To reduce it we revert to fin-wait-1
and resent the fin. which results in either a FIN or a RST from th eother
end if it's still alive. This gets rid of some of the sessions. but it is
admittedly a hack.