Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 10:58:32 -0700 (MST)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        Niall Smart <njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Niall Smart wrote:
> On Oct 30, 10:18am, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> } Subject: Suggested addition to /etc/security
> > I'm not sure if /etc/security is a good place for it, but I think it would
> > be a good idea to add this check (at least once a week) to somewhere:

> > echo "checking for invalid user or group ids:"
> >
> > find / -nouser -nogroup
>
> Shouldn't this be "find / -nouser -o -nogroup -print"?

Yeah, or even better:

files=`find / -nouser -o -nogroup -print`
ls -ldF $files

(this looks better than find / -nouser -o -nogroup -exec ls -ldF {} \;)

On the same note, what about adding a few checks of the syslog for things.
I'm not sure if /etc/security is the right place for that or not.  I know
that 'newsyslog' has a note about adding that sortof functionality, but..
?  Just a simple:

      fgrep 'BAD SU' /var/log/messages

Would suffice for su--the same could go for X failed login attempts on
other ports, etc.  We could get more complex and open rotated logfiles we
havn't checked yet (and note the last logfile to be checked--including the
dates).

Is there interest in this, or is something better being worked on?  I
could easilly cruft up /etc/security, if there is interest, and I wont be
duplicating any work..

-Brandon Gillespie