Date:      Wed, 02 Sep 1998 09:00:27 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Freeze with 2.2CAM-19980716-SNAP + XF863323 + PII + S3V

> > > Symptom:
> > >
> > > 	When running X under certain conditions
> > > 	(must be X server supporting S3V chipset accel., like XF86_SVGA,
> > > 	or XF86_S3V), and with certain programs, the machine will freeze
> > > 	instantly (no panic, nada).
> >
> > I have been seeing the same symptoms with an S3V system for a long time
> > (6+ months); by varying the options to the S3 server and the system PCI
> > timings I can alter the 'ease of freeze', but it's always possible.
> > Swapping console <-> X and popping up a twm menu will both do it.
> >
> > Either it's a bug in the S3V code, or the hardware itself (I have had
> > occasional lockups on that system with other operating systems as well).
> >

>  I don't believe it's specific to the S3V code, as I get the exact
>  same symptoms with the normal SVGA server (on a Matrox Millenium II card.)

Which "exact same symptoms"?  Specifically, can you just pop up a twm
menu 3 or 4 times and have the system freeze?

>  Is your kernel/system set up to do a savecore?  Perhaps that would
>  be enlightening...

It'd only be enlightening if I had a serial console on the system, and
even then I'm not convinced the system is responding to interrupts at
that point so I may well not be able to do anything about it then.