Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 2009 14:09:27 -0500
From:      "J.R. Oldroyd" <fbsd@opal.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FYI: v4l-linuxulator support in FreeBSD-current now

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 22:31:26 +0100, Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> in case someone wants to use skype (or flash) with his webcam: it is
> possible now in -current (works at least with multimedia/pwcbsd).
>
> No MFC planned yet. The more you test, the more likely it will be that
> it will be MFCed sooner than later.
>
> Bye,
> Alexander.

Thanks for committing this, Alexander.

A couple of notes.

1.  This code does work on 8.0 and 7.2.  If you are interested in
    testing on those systems, you can fetch the files at the URL
    below.

2.  The version committed does not contain support for a video
    clip list (in the VIDIOCSWIN ioctl).  This is not a problem
    for the Linux skype port or browser-based flash camera apps
    since these do not use video clipping.

    I have added video clip list support in the version on my
    site, below, however there are some caveats which are
    documented on the web page.  If you are familiar with the use
    of a V4L video clip list, please take a look at the URL below
    and send feedback.

The latest version is at:
    http://opal.com/freebsd/sys/compat/linux/

My testing is with a pwc(4) based webcam (in the multimedia/pwc
port).  This driver has V4L support.  If you test with any other
driver, please do send feedback.

	-jr