Date:      Thu, 16 May 1996 05:32:23 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jamie@inna.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HP Tapedrive

>I have installed an HP C1533A 4mm SCSI DAT drive on my FreeBSD machine,
>and am wondering about hp's cool (not) little toggle switches on the
>bottom....I need settings for those, if anyone can supply them.  mt is
>returning totally invalid desity codes for the tape drive, and I really
>need to run backups on this machine soon.  HP gives settings for sun,
>dec, and hp, but not pc...the scsi adapter is an Adaptec 2940UW.  Any
>help is appreciated.

You didn't get the C1533A User's Manual with the drive?  It will explain
the jumpers that are independent of Sun/HP/DEC/etc settings.

There are 8 DIP switches, with switches 1-3 being compression and MRS
settings, and switches 4-8 being used to specify drive connectivity and
functionality according to host or customer requirements (Sun/HP/DEC/etc).

Switches
 1   2
On  On  - Compression enabled at power on, with host control
On  Off - Compression enalbed at power on, no host control
Off Off - Compression disabled at power on, no host control
Off On  - Compression disabled at power on, with host control

Switch 3
On   - Media Recognition System (MRS) is disabled.  Add DDS tapes
       will be treated the same, whether they are MRS compliant or not.
Off  - MRS is active.  Non-MRS tapes are treated as if they are
       write-protected.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org

P.S.  Mine works great under FreeBSD with a 2940W.