Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 1995 08:51:58 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

> 	I've been needing a new printer for a while now, considering what
> I've got is from 1991 - a Star Micronics 1020 Rainbow 9 pin dot matrix
> thing.  I'd like to retire that to line printer status only and purchase
> either a low end postscript level 2 capable laser printer, or a mid to high
> end ink/bubblejet printer.  I'm leaning towards the ink/bubblejet printers
> right now because PS laser starts higher than I'd like to spend.  I know
> that the HP DJ540, 550, 560, and 660 are all very well supported with
> apsfilter and ghostscript, but from the reviews I've been reading, the
> Canon BJC-4000 does a lot better job.  And then apparently the Epson Color
> Stylus II is even better.  What I would like to know is whether or not
> anyone's out there running either of these two printers, and if so, how
> well do they reproduce a postscript document as prepped by ghostscript?

I'm running an Epson Stylus color (with a hacked gs2.6.1 under FreeBSD
2.0.5) and it works like a charm. I have two test printouts
escher.ps and colorcirc.ps sticking at the wall and they look fine.

A bit a problem is the color trueness (dithering method) and I
don't see any way to manipulate this other than digging into
the drivers dithering method.

> Also, how easy was the printer to setup with freebsd, and can you use its
> highest dpi mode?  Thanks for any pointers, recommendations, and help in
> advance!

Once you are familar with lpr setup it's an easy task.

eps|epson-postscript|EPSON Stylus COLOR PostScript:\
	:lp=/dev/lpt1:\
	:sd=/var/spool/eps:\
	:sh:\
	:of=/usr/local/bin/gseps:\
	:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:\
	:mx#0:

/usr/local/bin/gseps:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gs -q -dSAFER -sDEVICE=escp2cfs2 -r360 -dNOPAUSE -sOutputFile=- -