Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 2015 22:21:31 +0100
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre@fbsd.ata.myota.org>
To:        Freddie Cash <fjwcash@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, lev@freebsd.org, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Problems with IP fragments (was: Problems with DNSSEC -- answer in fragmented UDP doesn't work)

On Wed, 28-Jan-2015 at 10:04:57 -0800, Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM, Lev Serebryakov <lev@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > On 28.01.2015 20:38, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> >
> > > What do you get if you run the reply size test at DNS-OARC ?
> > >
> > > https://www.dns-oarc.net/oarc/services/replysizetest
> >  0 lines (empty answer) at CURRENT, only "rst.x1013.rs.dns-oarc.net."
> > on 9.3.
> >
> >  Looks like "IP Fragments Filtered", but I don't understand — why and
> > where?!
> >
> >  I'm using ipfw on both hosts, but I don't have any special rules
> > about IP fragments at all! And as these systems are in completely
> > different networks, with different uplinks and FreeBSD versions!
> >

> ​IPFW doesn't deal with IP fragment reassembly by default.
>
> You can add something like the following to the start of the IPFW ruleset
> to work around it (one for each NIC):
>
> ​$IPFW add reass ip from any to any in recv $NIC0
> ​$IPFW add reass ip from any to any in recv $NIC1

The ipfw man page says:

             Usually a simple rule like:

                   # reassemble incoming fragments
                   ipfw add reass all from any to any in

             is all you need at the beginning of your ruleset.

However, I could never make this work. It eats all fragments but
the resulting final packet never makes it. I am back to

ipfw -q add 1 pass udp from any to $myip frag in recv $ifc

as I need it only for UDP. Frag reassembly in pf works well
on the other hand...

	-Andre