Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 20:26:39 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Faciane <dave@nws.fsu.edu>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, Richard Solly <rsss@melbpc.org.au>
Subject:   Re: Panic:  Changing default root with the elf loader/kernel

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Richard Solly wrote:

> Following the helpful discussions recently, I converted my
> recent 3.0 kernel which I thought was elf (but in fact was
> aout) to genuine elf.   Installed the boot loader OK as per
> Robert Nordier's helpful instructions and  booted the
> kernel.
>
> Now one big problem, the boot disk is in fact the 2nd scsi
> disk (da1)  (as well as an IDE disk).  It boots OK from what
> in fact is the 3rd disk, but root always defaults back to
> the first scsi (da0) and of course the kernel panics when it
> can't find root.
>
> The perturbation which resulted in a default root change
> with the aout loader/kernel,  2:da(1,a)kernel,  is rejected
> by the new loader.

[snippage]

You need to set num_ide_disks. Here is my /boot/boot.conf (for booting
FreeBSD off the 2nd disk (which is the 1st SCSI disk, da0).

set num_ide_disks=1
autoboot 3
set no_autoboot=1

That will also handle your requirement for autoboot.

HTH

David Faciane                 |web: http://www.nws.fsu.edu/
NOAA National Weather Service |Real-Time Worldwide Marine Weather Reports
Tallahassee, FL               |  http://www.nws.fsu.edu/buoy