Date:      Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:38:22 +0100
From:      Julien Gormotte <julien@gormotte.info>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Remote re-installation of current FreeBSD system.

Roger <rnodal@gmail.com> a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> I'm in control of a dedicated server and I would like to re-install FreeBSD.
> I found the following guide:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/remote-install/
> which seems to cover pretty much all should need but it assumes that
> I have some other OS (linux) installed, since I have FreeBSD 7.2-p4 I wonder
> if maybe there is an easier way.
>
> The reason for wanting to re-install is because I only have on big
> slice that covers the
> entire harddrive and I don't want that. Primarily I would like to have
> /usr/local
> in a separate slice.
>
> Any input, advice, tips etc would be very welcomed.
> (trying to be prepared before attempting anything)
>
> Thank you,
> -r

AFAIK, it's not possible to install a BSD system from a linux system.
I searched some time, and it does not seem to be possible.
Finally, I used mfsBSD to install. I booted on a rescue disk (Linux),
then, I did :
dd if=mfsBSD.img | ssh remotehost dd of=/dev/sda

Then, a reboot, and I accessed the system via ssh.

Julien Gormotte