Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 16:58:28 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ed0 device timeout

Hello!

I am putting together a low-end PC to act as a router between two
internal (192.168.x.0) networks, running 4.4-RELEASE.

I'm having some trouble with network cards. Any card that uses 'ed'
driver does not seem to work properly. When I try to ping something
through ed0, I get an error message:
/kernel: ed0: device timeout.

I've done some searching in archives and overwhelming opinion seems
to be that this is caused by low-quality network cards that are
simply not working properly.

This might very well be the case, but I have tried *four* different
cards with similar results, whereas I have built several such
low-end "router" machines with second-hand junk cards before and
have *never* had this problem. Might there be some other cause to
these timeout messages besides faulty cards?

A note: all machines I've built in the past have been 486-s, this
is the first time I'm doing a P5/120. Maybe this is just "too
fast"?

The cards I've tried (not the best brands, I admit ;-) ) are:

ISA Accton EN 1666
ISA D-Link DE220
ISA Noname (don't really know what it is but it works in Win95 and
			I have identical cards working in other FreeBSD machines)
PCI Accton 1208 (with Realtek 8029 chip)

All cards are detected fine in dmesg.

Is there anything I might try besides digging my supplies for yet
another network card? Maybe go to nearest shop and buy a decent NIC
(*grin*)?

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.