Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2001 06:53:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sung Nae Cho <sucho2@quasar.phys.vt.edu>
To:        Erik Sabowski <airyk@sabowski.dhs.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Follow up on "Audio on Dell.....Maestro 3 PCI"

On Fri, 20 Jul 2001, Erik Sabowski wrote:

> I am trying to get audio to work on my dell inspiron 8000. i updated the
> sources today. the audio is an ESS maestro 3i. i tried adding 'device pcm'
> to the kernel, that didn;t work. then i tried adding 'device pcm0 at isa?
> port? irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x15' (as shown in the man audio page) and that
> didn;t work. when booting, i get the following message concerning the
> card:
>
> pcib2: <PCI to PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=2448)> at device 30.0 on pci0
> pci2: <PCI bus> on pcib2
> pci2: <unknown card> (vendor=0x125d, dev=0x1998) at 3.0 irq 5
>

> thanks for any help
>
> #airyk

From what I heard, FreeBSD's pcm driver doesn't support Maestro 3 due to
the fact "too" much of the driver is covered by GNU licence.  Therefore,
instead of compiling it in the kernel that way I can load and unload as
necessary.  GENERIC FreeBSD kernel (kernel out of the box) supports sound
when you load the right module for your soundcard.  I load modules for
much of my system just to make kernel size smaller.  For example, I don't
see the point for compiling usb scanner in kernel when I use it so rarely.

Modules can be loaded from /boot/defaults/loader.conf

For safety, copy loader.conf to /boot/loader.conf and only incude
overrides in /boot/loader.conf.  Of course, you can modify the
/boot/defaults/loader.conf directly also.

Sung

Friday, July 20, 2001.