Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 05:30:37 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PLEASE TEST - ATA driver patch (ATANG)...

Thus spake Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>:
> I've prepared a patch that brings the ATA driver to the next level.
>
> This is mainly to prepare for other platforms which demanded
> some changes to the driver infrastructure.
>
> It also fixes lots of outstanding problems and adds support several
> new chipsets including SiS (thanks to Christoph Kukulies for
> sponsoring a brand new SiS648 based board making that possible!)
>
> Please test it out and remember that this is WIP, so use protective
> glasses and rubber gloves, you have been warned.

Cool.  I'll try these patches out this weekend.  Is there a chance
you could integrate the other half of the patch I sent you in
January---the part that sends a FLUSH CACHE command to all disks
at shutdown time?  This measure should ensure that disks with
large caches write out all data before the power to them is cut.
Or are you working on a better way of solving this problem?

There's also the problem jjramsey reported where some (perhaps
broken) hardware required a small delay following the completion
of an IDENTIFY command before the correct data are available to
read, but that problem doesn't concern me directly.