Date:      Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:07:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Cilk: a multithreaded programming language

Hi;

The port I'm working on (TAUCS) wants to use Cilk:

     http://supertech.lcs.mit.edu/cilk/

Cilk is a language for multithreaded parallel programming based on ANSI C. Cilk
is designed for general-purpose parallel programming, but it is especially
effective for exploiting dynamic, highly asynchronous parallelism, which can be
difficult to write in data-parallel or message-passing style. Using Cilk, our
group has developed three world-class chess programs, StarTech, *Socrates, and
Cilkchess. Cilk provides an effective platform for programming dense and sparse
numerical algorithms, such as matrix factorization and N-body simulations, and
we are working on other types of applications. Unlike many other multithreaded
programming systems, Cilk is algorithmic, in that the runtime system employs a
scheduler that allows the performance of programs to be estimated accurately
based on abstract complexity measures.

I'm having some problems building it (and it wants to use -pthread) so I would
prefer if someone with access to -current, and perhaps some interest in chess
;-), ports it.

cheers,

    Pedro.