Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 98 11:58:00 PDT
From:      Adam Turoff <AdamT@smginc.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the Internet"

Greg writes:
> Tim knows about Jordan, despite his message.  We've repeatedly tried
> to get them interested in BSD, but there's something at ORA that
> resists.  I suspect it's not Tim (who lives in California), but
> somebody on the East Coast.

Really?  I don't know much about ORA politics, but I got introduced
to FreeBSD by an O'Reilly sysadmin/author from the east coast office.

In fact, he was introduced at the O'Reilly Perl conference as "that
guy trying to sell FreeBSD - free software! - on CD".

> I've just about given up with ORA.  They seem to be relinquishing
> their position as the favourite UNIX publisher and chasing the NT
> crowd.  I'm surprised they even had this "summit".

Tim makes a buttload off of free software.  Last summer, Programming
Perl ($40 MSRP) was selling a copy every 6 minutes.  We calculated
that the pittance of a royalty check coming to Larry Wall as one of the
three authors of that book must be enough to pay a modest set of
living expenses.

Add in the rest of the catalog.  It adds up.

If there's any resistance at ORA, it looks to me like the
(english-speaking) *BSD market isn't big enough, or the market
is suffering from aftershocks of the "fractionalization" of
the *BSD movement.

 -- Adam.