Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:55:01 +0200
From:      Michel Talon <michel@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Space

On Thu, Sep 28, 2000 at 03:11:19PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Jared Chenkin wrote:
>
> > I'm having some space problems on my FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE box.
> > The problem is that the previous administrator did not give
> > me alot of space on the root partition, and now its at 95%
> > and pwd_mkdb(8) and its frontends complain about lack of space (duh!)
> > I've looked through the stuff on the fliesystem, and I was wondering
> > if there is anything that I can safely move to another filesystem for
> > the time being. I was considering moving /kernel.GENERIC being that
> > I have a customized kernel which works quite well :)
> >
> > Live Large,
> >
> > Jared Chenkin
> > <chenkinj@bxscience.edu>
> > (AIM: DevNull24)
> > Networked Systems Administrator
> > Bronx Science Computing
>

>   /tmp and /var are good canadates for their own filesystems, if they
> aren't that way already.

I recently had a space problem even with /var (while i have a 100 Megs /var).
This was trying to install klyx with pkg_add. The dependency stuff tried to
install TeTex as a dependency (note that i already have TeTex, but an older
version) and this immediately filled up /var/tmp. This points once more that
partionning / is a bad decision for a lot of people. I have never encountered
any problem with a big flat /. On the machine with its own /tmp /var etc.
i am continuously bothered with file system fulls. Moreover i am beginning
sick with the ports dependencies which are changing each weak so that you need
to have 10 copies of tcl tk and so on, or reinstall everything. The TeTex
example is particularly ridiculous.

> Tom
> Uniserve

Michel Talon