Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:25:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Oleg Polyakov <opolyakov@yahoo.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Initial congestion window increase

--- Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Oleg Polyakov wrote:
>
> >  Here is a patch allowing to increase TCP's initial
> congestion
> > window up to 4 mss but less then 4380 bytes as specified in
> > experimental RFC 2414 and draft-ietf-tsvwg-initwin-04.txt.
> > It doesn't touch idle congestion window as per draft.
>
> Despite this change being in an RFC, I'm not sure that it's
> really worth
> implementing.  While increasing the slowstart flightsize might
> do wonders
> for benchmarks of short connections, the actual effect on real
> world tests
> seems much more murky.

Yes, real world is murky;)
RFC2414 references RFC2415 - Simulation Studies of Increased
Initial TCP Window Size which shows significantly increased
throughput and decreased delays and some increased drop rate -
around 1% more for connections with initial window=3.
It also references RFC2416 - When TCP Starts Up With Four
Packets
Into Only Three Buffers where experiment shows decreased delays
and "no harm" for transmission.

> I believe that there _is_ an argument for using mss * 2 as the
> default
> flightsize, however.  Supposedly, some OSes using delayed ACKs
> will delay
> the first ack, causing a 200ms delay which can really slow
> down the
> transfer of small web pages / etc.  If you can find (tcpdump)
> evidence to
> back this up, I could agree with raising the value to 2 * mss.
>  Beyond
> that, however, seems like a cheap way to inflate benchmarks
> and cause
> congestion.

Well, if we have congestion with cwnd = 2 * mss, we have it
regardless of initial window. Just in case of initial window = 2
* mss we have congestion 1 rtt earlier...

By the way looking into tcpdump revealed we have initial window
= 2 * mss in case of slowstart_flightsize = 1. I've seen it on
FreeBSD 4.5 and 4.6 .
What is this - an ancient bug in BSD stack?

If I set slowstart_flightsize to 0 then tcpdump shows we
starting
with initial window 1...