Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:48:41 -0800
From:      Chris Pressey <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Scope of FreeBSD and its affect on Advocacy

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:16:36 -0600
"Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com> wrote:

> Has FreeBSD Core defined the scope of goals for FreeBSD as an
> operating  system?  If so, where?  If not, would this be a good thing
> to request?   I think it would provide the advocacy list a framework
> in which to  work.

Quoting from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/history.html :

"1.3.2 FreeBSD Project Goals
Contributed by Jordan Hubbard.

The goals of the FreeBSD Project are to provide software that may be
used for any purpose and without strings attached. Many of us have a
significant investment in the code (and project) and would certainly not
mind a little financial compensation now and then, but we are definitely
not prepared to insist on it. We believe that our first and foremost
``mission'' is to provide code to any and all comers, and for whatever
purpose, so that the code gets the widest possible use and provides the
widest possible benefit. This is, I believe, one of the most fundamental
goals of Free Software and one that we enthusiastically support.

That code in our source tree which falls under the GNU General Public
License (GPL) or Library General Public License (LGPL) comes with
slightly more strings attached, though at least on the side of enforced
access rather than the usual opposite. Due to the additional
complexities that can evolve in the commercial use of GPL software we
do, however, prefer software submitted under the more relaxed BSD
copyright when it is a reasonable option to do so."

-Chris