Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:05:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James Howard <howardjp@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Tim Vanderhoek <vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: replacing grep(1)

On Thu, 29 Jul 1999, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> fgetln() does a complete copy of the line buffer whenever an
> excessively long line is found.  On this point, it's hard to do better
> without using mmap(), but mmap() has its own disadvantages.  My last
> suggestion to James was to assume a worst case for long lines and mark
> the worst worst case with an XXX "this is unfortunate".

<warning type="Anything said here wrong is my fault, not DES's">

DES tells me he has a new version (0.10) which mmap()s.  It supposedly
cuts the run time down significantly, I do not have the numbers in front
of me.  Unfortunetly he has not posted this version yet so I cannot
download it and run it myself.  He also says that if mmap fails, he drops
back to stdio.  This should only happen in the NFS case, the > 2G case,
etc.

</warning>

> [Never mind that it should be spending near 100% of its time in
>  procline...that just means he's still got work to do... :-]

I'd rather see it spending 100% of its time in regexec(), then I can just
blame Henry Spencer :)

Someone said there was new regex code out, is this true?  Can anyone with
a copy test grep with it?

Jamie