Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:38:24 +0100
From:      jsha <johann@terrabionic.com>
To:        Jorn Argelo <jorn@wcborstel.nl>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD doesn't even boot!

--rwEMma7ioTxnRzrJ

Hey!

---

Abstract: I'm trying to install FreeBSD on a brand new HP Compaq.
But whether I install it with BootMgr or the standard MBR, the computer
won't enter the FreeBSD boot process. Instead, it reboots itself in an
infinite loop.

---

Thanks for the reply so far. FreeBSD still won't boot.

> You might want to consider installing a standard MBR during the installat=
ion=20
> (so not the FreeBSD bootloader). Then only FreeBSD will boot if you have=
=20
> selected the drive as the primary drive in the bios (assuming you have tw=
o=20
> disks). If you need your machine badly but can't boot Windows yet? Just
> select the other drive in the bios and you're ready to go :)

I've now tried both the standard MBR and the FreeBSD bootloader.
Both cause my computer to reboot in an infinite loop.

> If everything is running, install GRUB or LILO, whatever you prefer. Work=
s=20
> better in some cases, and looks nicer as well :)
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Jorn