Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:25:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
To:        Jeff Walters <jwalters_1@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPsec on a NAT gateway

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Jeff Walters wrote:

> At home I have a FreeBSD gateway working nicely for NAT and firewall.
> One of the machines behind this firewall is an OS X iBook running
> through a WEP-enabled Airport base station in bridged mode (i.e. it
> only bridges the wireless and the ethernet).  WEP has known problems,
> and I'd like to secure the link between the iBook and the FreeBSD
> firewall against snooping or malicious neighbors, etc.
>
> I think that IPsec is the closest thing to an answer, however after
> much digging through setkey man pages, the FreeBSD handbook, and other
> HOWTO web pages nothing clearly describes this configuration.  This is
> not really IPSec transport mode, because it's only secure between host
> and gateway not host and host, and it's not tunnel mode because I'm not
> joining two LANs.  Has anyone done this?

The configuration you describe is still considered tunnel mode, even
though it looks part transport / part tunnel mode. Tunnel mode occurs
whenever a gateway encrypts on behalf of a network. Typical tunnels have
gateways at both ends, however it is possible to have a gateway at one end
and a single machine at the other.

HTH,

Dru