Date:      Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:44:40 -0500
From:      "Steve Douville" <fbsd@douville.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IP Routing Question

I'm trying to set up the routing table to force requests to certain IP =
addresses to use a particular ethernet card. I've used the route command =
in a number of ways, but still can't come up with how to force to use =
em1 instead of em0, with the right gateway.

em0 is aaa.bbb.ccc.207
em1 is aaa.bbb.ccc.200
Both have netmask of 255.255.255.0
em0 goes to the main port, gateway aaa.bbb.ccc.195. em1 goes to a =
switch, which is aaa.bbb.ccc.196, the gateway to other ip's on the =
switch.

What I want to end up with is:
aaa.bbb.ccc.196    link#2    em1
aaa.bbb.ccc.209    link#2    em1

I've tried lots of combinations, using the -ifp flag to force em1, but =
the only way I can get the gateway to say link#2 is to ping the ip =
first, whereas it gets put in the table even though it's not found, and =
then doing a route change. I need some way to put this in rc.local so =
that it's set up when booted.

Any ideas? Let me know if more info is needed.

TIA,
Steve