Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 1996 08:44:35 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Justin.glazner@access.gov
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 8088 version of FreeBSD

> Does a version of FreeBSD exist for an 8088, 8086, or 80286 processor? As my 386 bought the farm last month,

No, no and once more no. FreeBSD requires the virtual and 32 bit properties
of the 386+ family of processors. As for 286 or even 86 you might get XENIX
or better, get a used 386SX motherboard - if budget is tough - and start
with 5MB ram.

> I have been wanting to change to Unix but cannot due to the fact that all of
> it is for a 386 or better! This _SUCKS_...if not is there anywhere I can get
> a copy of it?

There is also MINIX for < 386 architectures.

> JG

FreeBSD toots.physik.rwth-aachen.de 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #0:
Wed Apr  3 09:59:08 MET DST 1996     kuku@toots.physik.rwth-aachen.de:/
usr/src/sys/compile/TOOTS  i386