Date:      Wed, 24 Dec 1997 10:42:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Jaeho Lee <jhlee@hanyon.co.kr>
Cc:        Ijon Tichy <ijon@forum2.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Com ports

On Wed, Dec 24, 1997 at 08:33:32AM +0900, Jaeho Lee wrote:
> Ijon Tichy wrote:
>>
>> I've successfully installed FreeBSD 2.2.5-release on my machine.
>> Now I'd like to have net connections. I have a modem on COM3. How do I get
>> FreeBSD to notice it?
>
> By default, COM3 is disabled. You have rebuild the kernel after change
> this option.

That's not correct.  You only need to rebuild the kernel if the device
isn't mentioned in the configuration file at all.

You can enable disabled devices with UserConfig.  Enter '-c' to the
boot prompt, enter 'v' when you get to the configuration editor, and
then select the disabled devices.  I've forgotten what you do to
enable them, but the help will tell you--could be a TAB.

Greg