Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:20:26 -0400
From:      Robert Noland <rnoland@FreeBSD.org>
To:        BARDOU Pierre <bardou.p@mipih.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3D windows effect makes Xorg crash

--=-1DyD5xs2nbdnzfOJ9s24

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 16:14 +0200, BARDOU Pierre wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    I am =3D trying to set  up compiz fusion on a Dell OptiPlex 330 (Intel
>    Pentium E2180, 2Go =3D DDRII,  G33 Chipset).
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    I have =3D performance  problems and as soon as I activate the 3d
>    windows effects X server  crashes.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    Details,  configuration files and logs :
>=20
>    [1]http://f=3D orum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=3D10009
>=20
>    Adamk =3D on this forum  advised me to post here.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    This =3D problem is not  a big concern to me, I am trying to setup
>    this just to fill up my idle =3D time at  work.
>=20
>    So if =3D you want to  improve G33 support I can help you by doing
>    some =3D tests.

First, please make sure that you have very recent -CURRENT, I made some
updates to the agp handling of g33 chipsets recently.  ~600 fps in gears
is not that unreasonable (glxgears is not a benchmark),  I get about 720
- 800 on my 965gm.  The only obvious issue that I see from your logs is
that write combining failed, which would have an impact on performance.
Once we are sure that you are on the latest code, if there are still
issues, we can look into those.  It is also plausible that this is an
issue with mesa handling the g33, but that would likely show up on linux
as well.

Our ports will get xorg-7.4 once 7.1 is released, which will update mesa
to 7.2 as well.  FWIW, even the water plugin is finally working
correctly for me with the update.

robert.

>=20
>=20
>    If you =3D don't have  time, no worries, I'll survive without 3D
>    windows :)
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    --
>=20
>    Cordialement,
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    Pierre BARDOU
>=20
>    CSIM - Bureau =3D 012
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    Midi Pyr=E9n=E9es =3D Informatique  Hospitali=E8re
>=20
>    12 rue Michel =3D Labrousse
>=20
>    BP93668