Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:20:05 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Bahman Kahinpour <bahman.linux@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Very Important Note on HP LaserJet P1102 on FreeBSD

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:24:51 -0200, "Carlos A. M. dos Santos" <unixmania@gmail.com> wrote:
> From my own experience, you will probably achieve much better results
> from HP printers if you choose the network-enabled models (those whose
> names have a "n" or "w" suffix), not the host-based ones.

I can just encourage ANYONE who wants easy printing, be it
at home or in the office, to STAY AWAY from USB printers.
Networking printers give you much more flexibility and
advantages, and even if their price tag is different from
what you might know from the consumer crap shelf in the
local store, they are worth their money.

Using HP printers myself, I was always lucky chosing
those that can be used via network. I may also repeat
one of my older statements: If you don't mind using
USED hardware, get used OFFICE printers for cheap.
They are still good and in most cases FULLY sufficient
for home use. I'm using a HLP Laserjet 4000 duplex
myself here at home for some years now, and it works
PERFECTLY since first try - an experience NOT common
to "modern" printers.

> This is
> especially true regarding printer management, since the net-enabled
> printers have an embedded web server.

They often do also have a built-in printer queue, so
basically you're querying the PRINTER with the lp*
commands - in most cases very efficient.

> They also support management and
> monitoring via SNMP, which is very helpful.

Maybe not at home, but in any office setting, it's a
welcome help.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany