Date:      Wed, 16 Jul 2003 02:38:18 +0200
From:      "Harald Schmalzbauer" <h@schmalzbauer.de>
To:        <ticso@cicely.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FFS_ROOT is gone?

*snip*

> > The machine rebooted. No matter if I did "?" or any "ufs:xxYz". It's
> > behaviour was like "empty line".
>
> That's the normal behavour if the line can't be parsed.
> IIRC you can't correct typos on that line.
> Even if a line corrected with backspace looks good - it is not.

I'm very sure that I had a few attempts without any misstype because I tried
that some dozends and I was aware that I didn't use any backspace

*snip*

> > booting the kernel with only boot0, no loader.
> >
> > Has this feature been intentionally removed?
>
> The loader sets variables that are required for the kernel to run
> such as reading device.hints.
> You can still compile the variables staticaly into the kernel and
> directly use boot2 (boot0 is the bootmanager).

Ahhh, of course there is a new device.hint. Ok. I'll try that some time.
(boot0 was wrong, I meant the stage taht usually loads the loader, like you
said boot0!)

Thanks,

-Harry