Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 13:42:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Clark <email@john.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Ports from CD

Doug,

>> > pkg installation was not built for going over anything but CDROM.  Just
>> > download the package you are interested in and run pkg_add
package.tgz, or
>> > download the port's directory, cd into it, and type 'make' to build it
and
>> > 'make install' to install it.
>>
>> Uh, I hate to disillusion you Doug, but the package installation tool
>> in sysinstall will work with any of the media types, including floppy. :)
>
>I should have made that clearer.  People constantly report that sysinstall
>won't install packages over anything but CDROM.  DOS pkg_adds obviously
>fail, but ftp also doesn't appear to work.  Unless you fixed it..:)
>
>> pkg_add itself will work with files or URLs, so even it has two methods
>> of installation.
>
>I've known that for a bit.

Thank you very much for your input.  My problem is that the Windows NT box
that has the CD Jukebox does not unmangle the filenames on the CD ROM.
When sysinstall goes to fetch a particular app, it fails because it does
not recognize the file name.  Do you know of an app that reads the Index
file to unmangle the names for NT?

Thanks,

BTW -- I also wanted to thank you for your tireless support of FreeBSD
questions here -- every time I have a question, you are always one to
reply.  Also, good job Jordan, you always catch the really tough ones.

John Clark
[email@john.net]