Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:28:37 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, hardware@freebsd.org, dg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Intel PILA 8472 (dual port fxp card ?)

> At 08:20 PM 2/23/99 , Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> >I'm informed it's not working at this time; you should talk to David
> >Greenman (copied) about it to be sure.
>
> Hmmm.. A shame.  Are their any alternatives ?  I am in need of building an
> ethernet router and was hoping a few dual ported Fast-E cards would help me
> get around some hardware limitiations.  Would not 2 such a cards
> theoretically and practically perform better than 4 individual cards ?

Performance is likely to be marginally worse with bridged cards, where
"marginally" is on the order of a few percent.

You should look at the Cogent (now Adaptec) 4-port cards, which are
supported by the 'de' driver, and perhaps also the Phobos 4-port cards
(which come with FreeBSD drivers for 2.2 systems) if they're available
yet.