Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2000 11:04:07 +1100
From:      Scott Donovan <scott@tassie.net.au>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Alexei Khalimov <lesha@mos.net>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: an FXTV suggestion

Hi folks,

At 03:45 PM 1/5/00 -0800, Amancio Hasty wrote:
>Is really is not that hard to code a simple webcam app in fact the
>the linux distribution for xawtv provides such an application and
>it shouldn't be that hard to port to FreeBSD if you must do the
>minimal amount of programming.

I hope I am not contributing to the melee, however I have used 2 different
approaches.

1) running FXTV as an x process and then using the xwindows capture
function of the image magick convert program to grab the image and a quick
perl hack to do the ftp'ing etc.

2) I had an old version of the webcam.c that was on  the telepresence site
and after a little bit of dodgy c coding got the bt848 capture working
(most of the time). and again use of quick perl hack gave me the
ftping/archiving etc.

The good news is this worked the bad news is, I have no idea where I put
the source ..

Both solutions were ugly but they were sitting on p90 machines in
cupboards, roof spaces etc and they vary rarely went bang (a couple of PS
failures).