Date:      Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:56:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Ben J. Cohen" <bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bash bug when typing long lines?

>>There seems to be a glitch in bash when typing lines longer than one
>>screen-width.
>>When you do this, the cursor wraps back to the start of the line, but does
>>not go down a line, so you overtype the beginning of the same line.
>
>I don't think it overwrites the line. It just shifts the stuff you have
>written to the left so you can read the tail end. Use the left arrow to
>back up and see if this is the case.

No, this doesn't seem to be the case; in fact, since if you do that the
line that was overwritten appears on the preivous line up, it seems to
confirm that this is wrong.

Is it likely that I have set something up wrong?

I think it was the default configuration, though.

Note that this still happens when I run screen under xterm with bash; does
this suggest that the problem is with xterm (or my xterm definition)?

Incidentally, I am running FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE and I had the same problem
with the May(ish) 3.0 SNAPshot.  I installed Debian Linux (briefly!) on
Friday and it didn't have the same problem.

Thanks,

Ben.