Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 03:22:53 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help! "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while inst

> >Also, the VESA code isn't in GENERIC, says he just looking.
> >
> >I'm sorry; I don't have any other great ideas.  Try a new video card. 8)
>
> OK. I went today and bought a new ATI Xpert 98 video card.
>
> I installed it into the system in question.
>
> I tried to install FreeBSD again.
>
> Still no-go.  I am getting EXACTLY the same error as before at EXACTLY
> the same point in the process.

Ok, so it's not the VESA BIOS. 8)  I'm a little puzzled as to what the
SCSI controller BIOS is doing being called at this point in time (the only
other candidate).

> Based on the evidence, I am inclined to say that there is a definite bug
> in the FreeBSD 4.1.1 generic kernel.  I mean hay!  FreeBSD 3.3 boots up
> fine on the exact same hardware.

No, the bug is in the BIOS code.  We're just tripping over it.

> Assuming that it is one, where should I turn for further assistance?

Get a BIOS update for the controller.  I know that people are using 154x
-family controllers with FreeBSD-4.x systems (because they get upset when
things get broken elsewhere 8).