Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 08:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jaime <jaime@snowmoon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sendmail & periodic in FBSD4.6

	I am setting up a new firewall/caching-proxy/etc.  with FreeBSD
4.6 and ran into a quirk that I don't know how to deal with.  I want to
send the output of periodic scripts (/etc/periodic/daily, weekly, etc.) to
an address on another machine.  So I edited /etc/mail/aliases to include
"root: foo@bar.net" and ran newaliases.  I have /etc/rc.conf's
sendmail_enable="NO" because I don't want incoming email and I don't want
another MTA but I do want to route local email.  But the email sent
locally to a foreign computer's address isn't received.  Instead, I get
this in the firewall's /var/log/maillog:

Jun 24 08:00:35 cerberus sm-mta[99845]: g5K713Jl087223:
to=<root@firewall.bar.net>, delay=4+04:59:32, xdelay=00:00:00,
mailer=esmtp, pri=18570406, relay=firewall.bar.net., dsn=4.0.0,
stat=Deferred: Connection refused by firewall.bar.net.

	Does this mean that setting /etc/rc.conf's sendmail_enable="NO"
prevents me from sending emails from cron scripts to foo@bar.net (which is
on a node other than firewall.bar.net) or that there is something else
that I'm over-looking?

							Thanks in advance,
							Jaime