Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 11:33:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: WARNING: portupgrade considered harmful

Joe Kelsey wrote:
> Some time ago, the maintainers of the pkgtools slipped a new ability
> into portupgrade: the ability to silently move "obsolete" shared
> libraries into /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg.  This so-called "feature" has
> caused me no end of trouble in the last few days.
> [trimmed]

This is just a quick "me too" with respect to this new, um, feature.  I
ran into it a couple of weeks ago, but I just pounded on things until I
fixed it (which involved deleting some stuff out of .../compat/pkg and
rebuilding a bunch of ports).

Definitely violates POLA, in a big way.  Well, _I_ was astonished, anyway.
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/