Date:      Tue, 6 Apr 1999 10:57:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        ChrisMic@clientlogic.com (Christopher Michaels)
Cc:        grog@lemis.com, gjb@comkey.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g)

Christopher Michaels writes:
> Maybe I'm a little out of the loop, but as a general user I feel I should
> voice my opinions (questions).
>
> I understand the up-sides of a debug kernel (although I wouldn't mind some
> clarification), but what are the down sides?
>  - The kernel is larger, correct?  Is this just file size or does it take up
> significantly more memory as well?

You would install two kernels: /kernel and /kernel.debug. The first
one is a normal kernel (but no debugging info) and this is the one
you run. So no more memory is used (except on your disk). The second
you only need as a debug reference for the first when you get a core dump.

>  - Does a debug kernel impart any performance hit?

No... the same code is being executed as before.

-Archie